It is important for everyone who lives in the local area to ensure that they have access to reliable oral health care. At Lovett Dental Humble, we are here to ensure that all of our patients have access to dental care. With a variety of office locations, we can provide everyone with access to reliable general dentistry services. One of the services that we provide involves tooth extraction. Even though nobody likes to have their teeth removed, there are some situations where this is necessary. But by learning more about tooth extraction, you’ll be in a better position to find the right dental treatment for yourself or your loved ones.
What Makes Teeth Extractions Necessary?
There are a few reasons why someone might have to have their teeth removed. Even though many people associate tooth removal with wisdom teeth, there are other reasons why someone might have to have their teeth removed. Some of the most common reasons why a tooth extraction might be necessary include:
- There is excessive tooth decay present in the mouth, meaning that the teeth cannot be saved.
- There are numerous infections present in the mouth, threatening the teeth and the structures underneath.
- Sometimes, the jaw might be overcrowded, meaning that the teeth overlap, and some should be removed to correct bite issues.
Regardless of why everyone needs to make sure that tooth decay is treated appropriately. According to statistics that have been published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than a quarter of all people in the United States have tooth decay that has gone untreated. If tooth decay is not treated quickly and appropriately, then a tooth extraction might be necessary.
How Is a Tooth Extraction Performed?
There are a few ways that a dentist might perform a tooth extraction. The first is to remove a tooth that is already exposed. In this situation, the dentist will provide some local anesthesia in and around the tooth that will be removed. Then, the dentist will use a set of pliers or forceps and remove the tooth.
In other cases, tooth removal might require a more surgical approach. For example, getting their wisdom teeth removed might need to undergo general anesthesia for this procedure to be completed. All of this will be discussed with you in detail before the tooth extraction or removal occurs. Rely on the team from Lovett Dental Humble to take care of you from start to finish.
What Is the Recovery Process Like?
After this procedure has been completed, it is important to think about the recovery process as well. It is not unusual for someone to feel sore following tooth removal. Therefore, there are a few precautions that everyone should take. These include:
- Pain should be controlled, so if over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications are not enough, be sure to reach out to the dentist for other options.
- It is critical for people not to drink from a straw for the first day or two following tooth removal, as this can dislodge the blood clot and lead to severe bleeding.
- Anyone who notices redness, swelling, or bleeding should contact the dentist immediately.
If there are any issues following teeth extractions, we do provide emergency services as well. Do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.
Contact Lovett Dental Humble Today for Tooth Extraction Services
If you think you might need to have one or more teeth removed, rely on the team from Lovett Dental Humble to help you. We will customize our treatment plan to meet your unique needs. Contact us today at [direct] to make an appointment with a member of our team. We would be honored to help you.