Is a single tooth implant the best way to improve a smile after a natural tooth is lost? For some, it can be the best choice. Losing teeth is problematic from several vantage points. It can impact confidence, speaking, and dental health. That’s why getting help with a tooth implant can be important as it provides a permanent solution. At Lovett Dental Humble, we offer dental implant services that can give you the smile you desire again.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a type of permanent structure added into the opening created by the lost tooth. These screws, which are titanium cylinders, create an anchor into the jawbone where the tooth is missing. After this is placed and the bone grows to secure it, a new dental crown is added to the top. A crown looks like a natural tooth. It can also be sized, colored, and designed to look like your other teeth.
Implants can be used to replace one or more teeth. Sometimes, a single tooth implant can be placed to support up to three crowns. These devices can last for decades and create a long-term solution for those who have missing teeth.
Is a Single Tooth Implant Right for You?
When it comes to a tooth implant, some key factors play a role in determining if a person qualifies for them. To qualify, you may need to meet some specific goals, including:
- Having healthy gums, with any indication of gum disease under control
- Enough jawbone present to support the implant
- If not enough jawbone is present, qualify for a bone grafting, a procedure to move bone from one area of the body to another
- Have all infections or damaged tissues removed or improved
- Be able to handle the surgical procedure to install them using general anesthesia in most cases
For those who are unsure of these qualifications, your dentist will provide more insight during a consultation to determine if these are right for your needs. Keep in mind that the goal of a tooth implant is to create a strong solution to restore dental function. If there are potential risks, it may not be effective or may lead to other complications.
Which Dental Implant Options Are Right for You?
During your consultation, you will also talk to your cosmetic dentist about the various types of dental implants available and determine which one may work in your case. There are two main types.
- Endosteal Implants: This type of the most common. It is an implant placed into the bone of the jaw. After the healing process, a second procedure allows a post to be inserted to connect to the implant. The crown is then placed on the post.
- Subperiosteal Implants: This form involves the use of a metal frame that is positioned into the jawbone. IT works to make up for some of the lost bone in the area. The gums will heal around the frame, holding it into place. It is then possible to add the posts and the artificial tooth to the top.
Investing in dental implants requires careful consideration of all of your oral health needs. It is well worth working with an experienced dental implant specialist and cosmetic dentist to help you with this process. Our team can provide a good idea of what you can expect during your initial consultation after an exam and x-rays.
Restore Your Smile Now at Lovett Dental Humble
Improving your smile and dental health starts with a consultation with Lovett Dental Humble. We can help you determine how well a tooth implant can help improve your smile. Give us a call at 281-441-9000 or connect with us now online to learn more.